Monday, November 1, 2010

Scripture Memory Verse #21 & a 30 day project

Ah, sweet November. How glad I am that you are here. The scary decorations come down and the harvest/thanksgiving ones go up - that is if you can find that one shelf in the store that's not red and green yet.

I heard on the radio recently a woman commenting on marriage. She said if your mate is 80% what you hoped for/dreamed of/are happy with, why are you focusing on the 20% that isn't? Wow. Kinda hit me between the eyeballs. I can get so focused on the negative I lose perspective on how great my marriage, let alone my life, really is. I don't think I am alone. That's where my 30 day project comes in. For the month of November, I am going to try to post something everyday that I am thankful for. I first heard of this idea here. Thanksgiving can be a way of life, not just one day we celebrate each year. I want to adopt an attitude of gratitude and I'm challenging you to join me. What do you say? I'd love it if you'd leave me a comment and if you haven't figured out how to do that, email me and I'll try to help you. You could also start a journal of gratitude, or a thanksgiving tree that you add leaves of thanksgiving to, or share around the dinner table every night, or maybe you have another idea. I'd love to hear it.

In light of that, here's my verse from Psalm 118:28 NIV: You are my God, and I will give you thanks; you are my God, and I will exalt you. The bible says that every good and perfect gift is from above. Let's give Him the thanks he is due. Amen? Amen.

Here's what I'm thankful for today. Two things, actually. First, I was barely in my car this weekend. After two months of driving hither and yon with my kids, this is huge in my book. And when I was in the car, I was not driving. I was a passenger. It was sweet. I did go places, but half of them I walked to.

Second, I got to take my son trick-or-treating last night. It was fun to walk with him and his best friend (who were both clone troopers and looked like twins and were both very annoyed with anyone who called them a storm trooper). I confess I was mad at my hubby because he didn't want to take our boy out, but in the end, I was blessed because I did. I am thankful for any time my son wants to spend with me and when we can really communicate, it's a win-win.

So, my friends, will you join me this month in an attitude of gratitude? Thanks so much for stopping by. You are so appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome idea! I had seen a verse recently in a book and made a note of it to be my next memory verse and isn't it just like God that it would also fit right with your Nov challenge? Just another sweet blessing, so I am working on "The Spirit of God whets our appetite by giving us a taste of what's ahead. He puts a little of heaven in our hearts so that we'll never settle for less." 2 Cor 5:5 message. For what I am thankful for I will share for yesteday and today. Yesteday my husband and I got our last vaccinations to travel to Africa for our adoption, whenever it may be, and I was so thankful again that God has blessed us with such great health insurance that we didn't pay one penny for any of these 7 shots each, not even a copay. Today I am thankful for downtime to spend with my kiddos and around my house, no running around. I am excited for a time of focusing on blessings, thanks Melanie!

    ReplyDelete