Thursday, July 15, 2010

Scripture Memory Verse #14

Okay, friends, based on the response from the last post it seems I am closer to crazy than I realized. lol. I will carry on anyway. :)

The enemy has been throwing my insecurities up in front of my face a little more recently. He can be very subtle and truthfully, I make it pretty easy for him to do so. When I get so focused on my to-do list or my kids (not that there's anything wrong with either of those unless they are out of order on my priority list), I put off getting into the Word or spending time with the Lord. A couple days go by and I feel discouraged quicker or I play the comparison game or I am grouchy to my family. Thankfully, I am recognizing this pattern quicker than I used to. So Long Insecurity by Beth Moore has been instrumental in this. I highly recommend this book if you haven't read it.

One day this week when I was searching for my next verse, these popped out to me:

Psalm 91:1-2 NIV
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."


My footnotes explain it this way: "this should be a picture of our trust - trading all our fears for faith in him, no matter how intense our fears. To do this we must "dwell" and "rest" with him. By entrusting ourselves to his protection and pledging our daily devotion to him, we will be kept safe." The part that stood out to me was pledging our daily devotion to him. It is only when I daily go to the throne to meet with Him that I can be secure. Yesterday's visit won't give me what I need today. It's like taking vitamins. You don't take 7 pills on Sunday morning and say you're good for the week. It's most beneficial to take one pill every day for optimal health. It's most beneficial to take time every day with the Lord for optimal spiritual health.

To dwell means to inhabit or be present in. I dwell in my house every day. I am present here every day. I miss my home when I'm gone for any length of time. I want to dwell in the shelter of the Most High. I want to rest in the shadow of the Almighty. Have you thought about how His shadow doesn't shift? It is constant. I seek the shade in my yard these hot summer days. I have to keep moving the chair to accommodate the shifting shade. We do not have to move our chairs when we are resting in His shadow. Isn't that glorious?

When I am trusting in Him and claiming my strength and dignity (Prov 31:25), my insecurities don't rise up and loom in front of my eyes. It's hard to see clearly when our vision is blocked. I know that's an obvious statement. But have you checked your vision lately? Are you looking through the filter of God's Word or the filter of the enemy's lies?

Stay in the Word, friends. It is the only place where we find what we really need to live this thing out. I'm so honored to walk it with you. Thanks for stopping by. Leave your verse in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. I will lie down and sleep in peace, for You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 4:8
    Therefore, since through God's mercy, we have this ministry, we do not lose heart.
    2 Corinthians 4:1

    ReplyDelete
  2. "O Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of this your servant and to the prayers of your servants who delight in revering your name. Give your servant success today by granting him favor in the presence of this man."
    Nehemiah 1:11

    ReplyDelete