Monday, March 15, 2010

Scripture Memory Verse #6

Happy Monday morning! The weather forecast in SW Idaho is bea.u.ti.ful. for the whole week - sunny, upper 50's - it's going to be fabulous! That combined with the extra hour of daylight in the evenings...we will be getting our required daily allotment of vitamin D. woohoo!

I hope you had a great weekend. Ours was good. Saturday was National History Day regional competition. My daughter participated in this through school. She was in a group with two other girls and they made a documentary film. The topic was something along the lines of "innovation and how it changed the world". The girls chose "Sputnik: the beginning of the space race" as their topic. They worked so very hard for two months on this project. They had difficulties with equipment, forgot to save their info before the computers at school crashed and had to re-type, had to re-record the voice-overs several times because they didn't like the way their voice sounded or they were giggling uncontrollably. Truthfully, Steve and I were slightly worried they wouldn't get done in time for the competition. But they did (4:30 Friday afternoon!). There were kids from all over SW Idaho competing in different categories: exhibits, documentaries, performance, websites, written essays. Sputnik/the three girls won first place in their category!!!! They were so excited and we are so proud. Now they go to State competition which is in the middle of April. They have a few adjustments to make as recommended by the judges. I think my daughter is most relieved to just have this project completed.

There are many things in my life that are challenging to me, as this project was for my daughter. Things that push me physically or mentally or emotionally. Things that I feel so inadequate even attempting. Examples? Well, being a mom, for one. In the beginning, moms are required to be present physically. The needs of a baby and young child are great. Most of the time, moms are running on less than adequate sleep. So that's challenging. Now, as my kids are older, they require more of me emotionally and intellectually. Discussing friendships, perseverance when the road gets long, learning life is not fair, pushing the boundaries we've set, etc. It's challenging, too. Another example is leading Bible study. Not something I sought after or feel particularly gifted to do. Even this blog pushes me intellectually. (not always evident by my entries, I know.) But this is what I'm learning: I have the Holy Spirit living in me and if I am yielding to his authority in my life, I am able to do these hard things. He has given me tasks for each day and he will give me what I need to complete those tasks, to his glory. We are to be filled with the Holy Spirit and to be servants of that same spirit. I am reminded again that I am nothing without Him. But I do believe I can do all things through Christ.

So my verse for this time is from 2Corinthians 3 verses 5 & 6 (NIV): "Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant - not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life."

Leave your name, verse and version. Have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. Well, I was going to put our memory verse from bible study of Gal 5:22-23, but it came so easy(for once!) I am going to start a new one today, from NIV Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."

    ReplyDelete
  2. For He knows how we are formed, He remembers that we are dust. Psalm 103:14

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 2 Corinthians 9:8

    ReplyDelete
  4. The LORD your God is with you,
    he is mighty to save.
    He will take great delight in you,
    he will quiet you with his love,
    he will rejoice over you with singing.
    Zephaniah 3:17 NIV

    http://lesliemartinyoung.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete