I never meant to go so long without writing. I've written about 15 posts in my head but they never actually made it to the keyboard.
Here's the randomness of our lives the last two weeks:
1. Volleyball is over as of Monday. They were 5-5. My girl misses it already. She's thinking of playing basketball which starts in one week. Last night we went to watch the high school voleyball team play and that was fun. Sad to say, the home team could not jump for some reason. They could block okay, but hitting was such a feeble attempt in regards to jumping. The visitors had one girl who was 6 feet tall. She could jump and it was fun to watch her. My girl only has two inches until she matches that height. Do I wish it on her? I always wanted to be one inch taller than I am. 5'10" is such a nice round number, don't ya think? I know, I'm weird.
2. Football is still going on for my son. They are 1-1-1. Last week's game was exciting as they won. They had an interception and a safety (tackling in the end zone). I've learned quite a bit with my son playing. For instance, did you know that blocking and tackling are two different functions? Blocking is what the offensive line does and tackling is for defense. It is illegal to use your hands in blocking, you can use your arms, but not your hands. I learned this because my boy plays offense and I told him to tackle hard at practice. Duh, mom. I've learned what blitz and quarterback sneak and reverse play means. My son rolls his eyes at me but I figure that's standard for a tween, right?
3. BSU Football has begun and we have season tickets. For all of our Oregon family, sorry for your loss. :) Weekends are crazy with football at our house.
4. Bible study started this week and I'm so excited! I am taking Beth Moore's The Patriarchs and it promises to be a great study, as usual. Are you involved with Bible study? What are you studying?
5. I've been baking this week because fall is here on the calendar. Not outside our doors yet. But I tried a new dinner roll recipe this week and received thumbs up all around the dinner table. I tried Pioneer Woman's flat apple pie and it was yummy. I tweaked it a bit, though. I left out the lemon juice (what's that doing in apple pie?) and added cinnamon (why wasn't it there to begin with?). I wanted to share with you a secret I learned when making pie crust. My recipe is this:
For a two-crust pie: 2 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 2/3 cup butter flavor Crisco shortening & 1/4 cup cold water. Stir together the flour and salt and then cut in the Crisco with a pastry blender or fork. Keep blending until all the white of the flour is gone (this is one secret for flaky crust). Sprinkle water over the mixture and mix. Sometimes I have to add a tiny bit more water as it's too dry. Form a ball of dough with your hands. Here's the secret: place half of the dough on clear plastic wrap, flatten with your hands and put another piece of clear plastic wrap on top. Roll the dough out in between the plastic wrap. You will need to take the wrap off occasionally and reposition it as the dough can stick to it. Don't add any flour! Take off the top plastic wrap and pick up the pie dough by sliding your hand under the bottom plastic wrap. You can then flip the dough into your pie pan and if you need to reposition it you can flip it back over and do so. Here's what rolling out looks like:
This makes clean up a breeze! Plus, no dried out crust from too much flour. Practically perfect every time.
Today, I'm making this: http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/breads/amish-cinnamon-rolls-with-caramel-frosting/. Because, hello? Cinnamon rolls - what is better in life than that? I'll take pictures.
6. Memory verse: I'm still working on the one from last time from 1Chronicles 29:11-13. They were longer verses and I'm working on the second half. But, please leave your verse in the comments. Can you believe we are 3/4 of the way through our goal? You, my friends, are doing awesome! Keep going!
7. Many other things have been going on around here, but I'll save that for another day. I've made this as random as is humanly possible, I think. Sports, baking, bible. Thank you so much for following. I appreciate you.
Have a great weekend!