Wednesday, October 6, 2010

If you were a dwarf frog...

...where would you hide???

If you remember, we got our son three fish and two frogs for his birthday in April. Read about it here. One more of the fish died this summer so we were left with one fish and two frogs. Until last week. Steve cleaned the tank, I added more water and the next morning the fish was floating belly up. My boy was bummed.

Three days later he comes downstairs and says one of the frogs died. It's upside down on the bottom of the tank. What is happening with these animals in this tank?!? So I asked him to get the net and scoop up the frog and I'd dispose of it. We were running a bit behind schedule to get out the door that morning. He scooped up the frog, put it in a cup and left it in the bathroom. I disposed of it. (blech. Can I just say here that I do not like this part of being an adult?)

Three hours later I was telling Brittney, my niece, and she went in my boy's room to see the tank. She asks me, "how big are the frogs?" Oh, about 1 1/2 inches, I respond. "I don't see the other frog," she says to me.

Wait, what????

I go look in the tank. The ten year old left the top of the tank open and the net sticking out of the water. There was NO frog in the tank. NO. FROG. IN. THE. TANK.

Are you kidding me? Where in the world is the frog? We start looking all over the floor for this creature. Of course, being my son's room, there are legos, clothes, and books all around. We searched that room for 45 minutes looking for a small, slimy, greenish-brown, four-legged, no sound making frog. Nothing. We had to leave for awhile but when we got back, we searched again. Nada. How far could this thing have hopped? And without water? What am I going to tell my son?? How will he take this news? He loves these animals and has been so faithful to care for them. Ugh. How do I tell him this?

When he gets home from school, I broke the news as gently as I could. He was surprised, a little bummed, but not like I thought he'd be. I sent him to look for the frog. But he really wants to watch TV first. (why was I worried??) He looked for 10 minutes but didn't find it. Watched TV and then I went and looked with him. Of course he reminds me, "you know, Mom, that frogs have sticky pads on their feet so they can climb things."

*shudder* Actually, no, I didn't remember that.

Final outcome: I still have NO idea where that frog is and it's been SIX days. Heaven help us.

1 comment:

  1. EEEEWWW! I have the willies just thinking about it. So sorry you have a renegade frog in your house. Here's praying you find him soon and from a distance :)

    ReplyDelete